We caught up with Sue Campbell, Founder of award winning solid shampoo and conditioner brand KIND2. Here she shares with us her journey and 5 reasons to make the switch to solid shampoo and conditioner.
Here’s what she had to say…
“It’s exciting to be part of a movement of people that are challenging existing business and consumption models and the waste producing linear economy through innovation. Taking KIND2 from an idea to reality has given me a sense of purpose. I’m hopeful that one day we will see plastic free products, like solid shampoo and conditioner go mainstream.”
If you haven’t already, here’s 5 good reasons to switch to her award winning solid shampoo and conditioner bars:
• You are saving the planet from plastic pollution. Over her lifetime, we estimate one woman would use between 420 – 500 plastic shampoo/ conditioner bottles and only 50% of Brits recycle their bathroom plastic.
• Your hair will feel amazing! Good quality shampoo and conditioner bars are much gentler than most liquid shampoo and contain more oils, as they are made from natural ingredients and include shine bolstering oils such as Coconut, Macadamia and Argan.
• They last longer than a bottle, saving you money too. Because bars are concentrated, they are equivalent to between 2 – 3 bottles of liquid shampoo or conditioner.
• Great for travel. So much lighter and smaller, you can take them through airport security – plus there’s no risk of spilling into the contents of your bag.
• You will be lowering your carbon footprint. Bars are environmentally friendly not just because they are plastic free. Using plant based ingredients means they are less harmful to produce. Being free of water, they are lighter and more concentrated which means much less energy is used in transporting them.
Look for bars that are soap free, pH balanced, particularly if you live in a hard water area and if you have coloured hair, make sure they are SLS free too.
You can shop the full Kind2 range here.
Can you tell me your journey to setting up your business – what led you to this?
Growing up in Australia, my family always had a great appreciation for the natural world – honed through many a caravan holiday to a national park. My parents were definitely ahead of their time when it came to minimising their impact, so being environmentally aware is something I’ve always been conscious of. My inspiration for creating KIND2 came from living and working in Asia where I saw plastic littering the beaches and even the most remote places that we visited. We did our best to avoid unnecessary plastic packaging and compulsively separated our recycling, but started to feel very sceptical that was actually the solution. At the time, I was in a regional leadership role for a professional services company and decided that life was just too short to not try and make a difference about something I felt so passionate about. From idea to launch, it took 18 months of hard work.
What has been the most interesting lesson you’ve learned so far setting up your own business?
That it (just about anything!) always takes longer than you think, so building in some contingencies or having a plan B is a good idea.
What ambitions do you have for the business & where you see it going?
We have some new products in both development and pre-launch stage for later this year, covering a wider range of hair (and body) needs. Plus, we want it to be easy and convenient for people to buy plastic free products, so we are working hard on having our products available in more retailers, both online and bricks and mortar.
What advice would you have for anyone looking to follow their passion as you have?
Network, reach out for support, ask for advice and be open to new ideas, learn and be prepared to outsource – it’s going to be impossible for you to do everything!